Court and Case Information

Court staff will help you if they can. Remember they are not lawyers and therefore can only give procedural information and not legal advice .


Addressing Mail to Judges:

Mail should be addressed to the Mesa County Combined Court. Addressing mail directly to judges or division clerks is discouraged since this procedure will delay the pleading. The clerks must first enter all new documents in the computer, pull the file, and prepare the file for presentation to the judge or magistrate.

Personal mail addressed to the judge should be marked “PERSONAL”.

back to top of page

Business Hours:

The Clerk’s office, located on the first floor, is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. The Clerk's Office phone number is 257-3640. The phones are answered between 8:00 am and noon and then again from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.

The Collection’s unit is located on the first floor, just past the clerk’s counter. It is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday . For county court cases (traffic and misdemeanor) the office is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. That phone number is 257-3642. For district court cases (criminal felonies and juvenile delinquent) the office is open 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. That phone number is 257-3624. The phone, for district court cases, is answered between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

The Family Court Facilitator's Office is located on the first floor of the Justice Center. Go through the Clerk's Office and into the last door on the right, room 20. The Facilitatior holds pre-scheduled status conferences daily from 9:00 to 12:00. Walk in hours are every afternoon from 1:30 to 4:00    If you are filing for divorce or custody, she can assist you with paperwork. Her assistance is limited to parties with children only. If you have general questions about a divorce or custody case you can call (970) 257-8770 and leave a message.Your call will be returned within 24-48 hours. You can also call the main Clerk's Office number at (970) 257-3640.

back to top of page

Case Copies or Research:

To obtain copies of documents that have been filed with the court OR to obtain information about specific cases (for example has there been one filed) the following information will help guide you.

How to Make a Request:

Requests for information can either be made in person or through the US Mail. The court does not accept phone call requests, faxed requests or e-mailed requests.

If you plan to mail in your request and you are asking for information about your own case you must include a copy of your driver's license.  If you are requesting information about another person's case certain documents and personal data may be withheld due to confidentiality policies.  A notarized statement from at least one of the individuals named in the case will allow you full access to the record.   Please be specific about the information or copies you wish to obtain.  Please include the case number.   If you do not have the case number include all of the information you have about the case such as the type of case, party names, approximate year of filing, etc.  Please either provide a charge card number (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover are the only credit cards we accept) or enclose a check with a statement in the note section "not to exceed $50" (or whatever amount you estimate will cover costs). Also include a self addressed, stamped envelope for return of your documents.   Mail your request, envelope and payment to:

Mesa County Combined Court

P.O. Box 20,000-5030

Grand Junction, CO 81502

Cost of Research:

  • Copies are $ .75 per pages.

  • Certified copies are $20 per document.   This is IN ADDITION to the $ .75 per page copy fee.

In addition to copy charges, a non-refundable fee of $5.00 per name is required at the time of the request.  An additional $10.00 will be assessed if the file has to be retrieved from offsite storage.   If review or research, including redaction is required, a fee may be assessed at the rate of $30.00 to recoup costs of court employee time.  However, there will be no charge for the first hour expended in connection with research and redaction. 

There is a $5.00 research request fee, in addition to copy charges, when you come to the court in person AND wish to have pulled more than 5 files or you wish to have more than five names researched on our database (it is $5 per name).


In person, requesting 5 or less cases or names to be reviewed …. we try to complete your request while you are at the Justice Center although this is not always possible.

Via the mail or in person, requesting more than 5 cases or names …. Generally it will take up to 5 days. You will be sent your research or contacted to come back in when the research request is completed.

All requests where the cases have been microfilmed or at off-site storage … requests of this type may take up to two weeks to process.

back to top of page

Case Information from ECLIPSE:

Unfortunately we are unable to provide the general public or attorneys direct access to the information that we keep on ECLIPSE, our case processing database.

You can, however, access this information through

back to top of page

Court Holidays:

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 - New Year's Day

Monday, January 21, 2019 - Martin Luther King Day

Monday, February 18, 2019 President's Day

Monday, May 28, 2018 - Memorial Day

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 - Independence Day

Monday, September 3, 2018 - Labor Day

Monday, October 8, 2018 - Columbus Day

Monday, November 12, 2018 Veteran's Day

Thursday, November 22, 2018 - Thanksgiving Day

Tuesday, December 25, 2018- Christmas Day


Fee Schedule: (see JDF 1)

back to top of page

Protection Orders in Domestic Relations cases:

Please use the forms at the link below.

Please visit the Self Help Center at the Justice Center for more information about protection orders or call the Clerk's Office at 970-257-3640

back to top of page

Return Dates – County Court:

County Court civil case summons should be returned Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:30 a.m.

County Court Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED) cases should be set 10 days from the date of filing and set at 8:30.  If you are not an attorney the summons will need to be issued by the clerk’s office. F.E.D. cases must be brought in prior to 3:00 p.m. to have the summons issued that day.   These cases can be set any day of the week EXCEPT Thursdays.

Traffic Infraction tickets are set for Tuesday and Thursdays at 8:15 a.m.

Traffic and Misdemeanor tickets are set for Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 8:15 a.m.

back to top of page

Setting Information:

Please make sure that the wording in your Notice to Set makes it very clear to the parties that they should call and NOT appear on the setting date. A Notice to Set can be confusing to a pro se party and clerks never check the hallway to see if someone has physically appeared for a setting.

District Court:

· Contact the individual division clerk to obtain a date and time for your notice to set.

The attorney, or party, who prepares the notice to set should initiate a conference call with opposing counsel and the division clerk to set the hearing. The amount of time needed for the hearing should be determined prior to the setting. Legal secretaries can do the setting, in lieu of the attorney, if the secretary can answer all questions that will be asked (i.e. length of time needed, whether a second or third setting will work, etc) and make all necessary decisions.

County Court:

· All notices to set can be set on any afternoon (EXCEPT THURSDAYS) at 2:30 PM. The date does not need to be cleared with the division clerk. The notice to set should indicate the amount of time required for the hearing/trial.

The attorney, or party, who prepares the notice to set should initiate a conference call with opposing party and the division clerk to set the hearing. The amount of time needed for the hearing should be determined prior to the setting.

Note: For ease of reference and entry to the register of actions, information on all notice to set or notices of hearings should have the following information set off and not presented in paragraph or text form:






Length of Hearing:

Division’s Phone Number:

back to top of page

Small Claims:


By Administrative Order of the Chief Judge , in order to more timely resolve small claims disputes, all small claims cases filed in the Mesa County Court will be set for mandatory mediation. A small claims mediator will be available to mediate cases two days each week. If the parties are unable to resolve their dispute through mediation the case will be set for a date and time certain before a magistrate. There will be no charge to the parties for participating in mediation.

Attorney appearance in Small Claims:

If the defendant desires to have an attorney appear at their small claims hearing they must file a Notice of Representation by Attorney form 7 days prior to the scheduled court trial date. This form can be found under the self-help section of this webpage. The only time a small claims case is moved to a higher court is if the defendant files a counter claim that is above the small claims jurisdictional amount.

Attorneys may be present in mediation and may represent the defendant only if the Motion to Transfer was filed in a timely manner. Attorneys are not required to appear in mediation with their clients. If the parties are unable to resolve their dispute through mediation, their case will be set for a court trial before a magistrate.

back to top of page

Transcript Requests:

All parties requesting a transcript of a court proceeding must complete the Transcript Request Form and mail it to the clerk's office. Transcripts are the only source of obtaining a record of court proceedings - parties are not allowed to listen to a recording or obtain a copy of a recording on CD.

The transcriber will require that a deposit be made prior to typing the transcript. The amount of this deposit depends on many factors. As a general guideline you can expect to pay between $100 to $150 for a transcript of a one hour hearing.

back to top of page

Writs of Garnishment:

Generally speaking, writs of garnishment will be issued the day following receipt of the writ by the clerk’s office. The writ will be placed in the attorney pick-up folder after issuance. The cost for issuing a writ of garnishment is $45.00 for each garnishee named in the writ.

back to top of page

The Mesa County Justice Center is located at 125 North Spruce St., Grand Junction. Click here for driving directions.